Saturday, August 16, 2008

Goonies Never Say Die

As I was waiting for my turn in the bathroom this morning, I was doing my usual checking the email and facebook ect. While I was reading everybody's facebook status updates a quote from The Goonies ran through my head;

"Don't you realize? The next time you see sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best stuff for us.But right now,they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here. That's all over the second we ride up Troy's bucket."


Why'd this quote pop into my head? Think about it, many of my friends and myself included are leaving our hometowns for the very first time in our lives to go to school. Our parents know it's the right thing for us to go to school....but some of us are understandably nervous and are having second thoughts about this whole process. We could just give up and say screw it Mom, sign me up for Ivy Tech this fall or whatever, but if we do that we essentially give up "our time" Our time to live among our peers without nearly as much supervision from our parents. Our chance to have these experiences...and to thrive. But that also comes with the reality that if you screw up....it's all over.

I know that we're all nervous to some extent, just remember that you're not alone and practically everybody is in the same boat as you. Once we get over this first hurdle of moving in and starting classes, I'm sure we'll all be fine. And if we're not...come personally beat me up or something haha. Goonies Never Say Die...and we should never give up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First thing I would say is to always be yourself! Don't change and don't expect anyone else to.

Living in America and going to a new school...how hard is that! A few days of new stuff. Leaving home...sometimes that is a blessing!

People around the world have lot's more issues than that. Do you want to tread there? or stay sorta safe around home?