Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Do you ever listen to songs and have them trigger memories? Wether they be good memories or bad ones? I do, all the time. Sometimes I'll listen to a certain song just so I can remember something good that happened.

I was listening to "Believe" by Yellowcard last night and that brought up Memories of 9/11. I went through everything that went down that day. I remember almost every detail of it. Where I was, what I was doing. I feel like sharing it so I will.

That morning I got on the bus at the same time as usual. I was in the 6th grade, and everything was fine when I left. I probably just read my book or slept as usual on the way to school. I was the first one on the bus so it was a long ride. By the time we got to the last stop some older boys were talking about something and I was really confused by it. One of them asked the other if they had heard what had happened. And the other was like yeah I heard a plane hit or whatever...I just kind of figured it was some TV show or something and didn't worry too much about it. When we got to school, I noticed that secratary was on the phone talking to parents and such. I walked in the classroom and kids were talking about what happend. I felt so in the dark and confused.

By the time we had morning break I'd found out what had happened. We weren't allowed to watch the TV though and had to carry on with our regular classes. After lunch and afternoon recess(God I miss recess.) They turned on the TV and we sat and watched the news the rest of the school day. I remember that all after school activites were cancelled and that we all just sat there in silence not saying anything. Which was truely amazing for our class.

The end of the day came and I went with Jenny and Tristian who I stayed with after school until my mom could pick me. Tristian happened to have piano lessons that day...it was a Tuesday. I remember we dropped him off and decided to go to Mejier. I remember seeing the gas station, people were lined up down the road just to get gas. I'd never seen anything like that before then. We went to mejier and people were buying things like crazy too. It was kind of scary. I was only what 11 or 12 then. We picked Tristian up and then went back to their house. Where we sat and watched the news some more. It was all just the same things played over and over again but yet we all just sat there. It was crazy.

I went home and we watched the news some more. Over the next few days that's all that was on...finally they went into Iraq and I just remember my parents watching that in their room really late into the night.

I honestly didn't know how I felt about all of that at the age of 11. I don't really remember being too affected by it. But 5 years later...I see what the aftermath of all of this is. I see how prices have sky-rocketed. I see things crumbling. I've seen a very patriotic America emerge and I've also seen a very Upset America emerge too.

As I think back on all the things I've lived through I realize that I've lived through quite a bit just at the age of 16. I've lived through 2 US Presidents. Bill Clinton and George Bush. Well those are the ones I remember being in office anyways. I've lived through the turn of the millenium. Y2k...hey guess what? My computer? It's still working. I've lived through a Space Shuttle burning up in the atmosphere during re-entry. I've lived through terrorist attacks not only on the U.S. but also over in U.K., I remember watching that on the news too. I've lived through destructive Hurricanes...Katrina ect. Also a Tsunami...I wasn't directly affected by any of that. But I was indirectly affected. See the thing about kids these days is that we have access to loads of information. We're little sponges, we absorb all kinds of things. There's so much media out there and so many people who voice their opionions about things that it's hard to know who to believe and who to trust.

Personally, I think our generation is pretty much screwed. We got the shit end of the stick...lets just say that. The furture leaders of the world? What are we supposed to lead? I guess we're going to have to pick up the pieces of the generations that came before us to even have a chance. Blah I hate politics and I'm tired of talking about this...so that's it for me today.

No comments: